NAKIVO Introduces Agent-Based Data Protection for Proxmox VE ×
NAKIVO Community Forum

S3 storage classes

rimbalza

4 hours ago, rimbalza said:

Hi, I would like to know if it is possible to change the storage class of S3 repos. For example transitioning to Infrequent access files that are created after one week or something like that.

Thank you

Hello @rimbalza, thank you for your post. Currently, we only support the S3 Standard storage class. However, if you need, please share more details about your idea. We will create a new feature request with your information. We look forward to hearing from you 👍

I have a S3 bucket used as a repo. I see that everyday the backups add new data. I don't know if older files on that bucket are used (some or all, I don't know) each time new ones are added, but if they are not it is possible to creare a rule that moves older files to a different storage tier, for example STANDARD_IA. This is a tier where you pay a lot less more for keeping files that you do not access on a regular basis. In this way you can obtain big savings on the AWS bill. 

Also using other providers can be useful since it is API compatible with S3 but prices are way lower than AWS.

The global aim is to keep offsite backup as cheap as possible, when you start having lots of TB to keep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rimbalza said:

I have a S3 bucket used as a repo. I see that everyday the backups add new data. I don't know if older files on that bucket are used (some or all, I don't know) each time new ones are added, but if they are not it is possible to creare a rule that moves older files to a different storage tier, for example STANDARD_IA. This is a tier where you pay a lot less more for keeping files that you do not access on a regular basis. In this way you can obtain big savings on the AWS bill. 

Also using other providers can be useful since it is API compatible with S3 but prices are way lower than AWS.

The global aim is to keep offsite backup as cheap as possible, when you start having lots of TB to keep.

@rimbalza The best way would be to generate and send a support bundle ( https://helpcenter.nakivo.com/display/NH/Support+Bundles ) to support@nakivo.com so our Technical Support team can investigate it and forward your feature request to our Product Development team for possible future implementation.

I miss what information you can get from a support bundle that is not in my post above.

If this is some sort of "if you're not a paying customer we don't even consider your suggestion" I think you're doing it very very wrong. And yes, I'm a paying customer.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rimbalza said:

I miss what information you can get from a support bundle that is not in my post above.

If this is some sort of "if you're not a paying customer we don't even consider your suggestion" I think you're doing it very very wrong. And yes, I'm a paying customer.

@rimbalza

Please, don't worry, I have sent all the posted information to the Technical Support team and it will be forwarded to our Product Development team for possible future implementation.

But of course, I had to provide the link to send a support bundle as an additional possibility for you and other users of the Forum. This is optional. Thank you for understanding.

• 2 months later...

I have a similar issue/request.  It would be great if there was a way to interact with AWS Glacier via Nakivo.  I have a set of backups that are used for archival purposes, and I'm looking at storing them in Glacier.  Nakivo looks like it won't do this, meaning I'll need to use another solution to manage these archives.

Has anyone tried using Nakivo with the AWS Tape Gateway while storing the data in Glacier? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I have a similar issue/request.  It would be great if there was a way to interact with AWS Glacier via Nakivo.  I have a set of backups that are used for archival purposes, and I'm looking at storing them in Glacier.  Nakivo looks like it won't do this, meaning I'll need to use another solution to manage these archives.

Has anyone tried using Nakivo with the AWS Tape Gateway while storing the data in Glacier? 

@Matt Thank you for your interest in NAKIVO! The NAKIVO software does not support AWS Glacier in the current version.

The best way would be to generate and send a support bundle ( https://helpcenter.nakivo.com/display/NH/Support+Bundles ) to support@nakivo.com so our Technical Support team can investigate it and forward your feature request to our Product Development team for possible future implementation.

Feel free to let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with, and we will get back to you. We are looking forward to hearing from you.