NAKIVO Introduces Agent-Based Data Protection for Proxmox VE ×
NAKIVO Community Forum

Space Reclamation Best Practices?

Leezy

what is the recommended Disk Reclamation schedule? how frequent do we run? i have near 1TB space to reclaim at offsite and we found out that each time we do space reclaim, the process will takes about 2-3 days. it is quite painful when we dealing with large data size. are there any specific recommendation to deal with this ? 

• Like 1

Hello!

Please note that space reclaim maintenance is accumulative. It means you can stop it at any time and then continue from where you stopped it. 

Moreover, if the space reclaim is running but you need to run the job already, then space reclaim maintenance will be stopped automatically. 

These are the default settings. We start working with bigger data blocks and end with the smallest ones. That's why Space Reclaim maintenance is the most effective during the first 30-40% of the whole run. It's done in order to avoid the disk storage bottleneck.

• 3 weeks later...

Would it be possible to schedule the stop of space reclaim?  That way it does the bigger blocks which accounts for the majority of the space.  Reason I ask is that we will have around 350 separate repositories and if the power goes out at any one of them, it corrupts the backups, and when this is multiplied by the amount of repositories, it makes it a nightmare to manage.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I would like to be able to schedule the stop of the space reclaim as well.  The stop process of the space reclaim, if I check the box to automatically stop the process if a job is starting, takes so long to properly cancel that all the jobs that are queued fail, then the reclaim finally stops, but the jobs have already failed after multiple retries and simply do not back up.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greg said:

I would like to be able to schedule the stop of the space reclaim as well.  The stop process of the space reclaim, if I check the box to automatically stop the process if a job is starting, takes so long to properly cancel that all the jobs that are queued fail, then the reclaim finally stops, but the jobs have already failed after multiple retries and simply do not back up.  

@Greg The best way would be to generate and send a support bundle ( https://helpcenter.nakivo.com/display/NH/Support+Bundles ) to support@nakivo.com so our Technical Support team can investigate it and forward your feature request to our Product Development team for possible future implementation.