NAKIVO Introduces Agent-Based Data Protection for Proxmox VE ×
NAKIVO Community Forum

Tape Hardware Suggestions

samb13

Hi,

On my project list for next year is adding an air-gapped backup to my Nakivo solution. I'm looking for a low cost tape drive compatible with Nakivo but my usual vendors don't have much selection and everything I've found on the internet is rather out of date. Does anyone have a good solution for a low cost tape drive? I don't have a lot of capacity needs so I could probably get away with DLO-5. I'm looking into cloud backup as well but would rather keep the data on prem. I'm hoping to add a drive to a desktop, poweredge server or cheap NAS.

Thanks!

18 hours ago, samb13 said:

Hi,

On my project list for next year is adding an air-gapped backup to my Nakivo solution. I'm looking for a low cost tape drive compatible with Nakivo but my usual vendors don't have much selection and everything I've found on the internet is rather out of date. Does anyone have a good solution for a low cost tape drive? I don't have a lot of capacity needs so I could probably get away with DLO-5. I'm looking into cloud backup as well but would rather keep the data on prem. I'm hoping to add a drive to a desktop, poweredge server or cheap NAS.

Thanks!

Hello, samb13, your request was received and forwarded to our Level 2 Support Team. We will follow up with you shortly. Thank you for choosing NAKIVO Backup & Replication as your data protection solution.

On 11/22/2022 at 5:53 PM, samb13 said:

Hi,

Thanks!

Hello @samb13, I appreciate your patience during our investigation.

>>>>Does anyone have a good solution for a low cost tape drive?

This is out of NAKIVO Support. Make sure that the selected Tape Drive and attached point (physical machine) are met the requirements: https://helpcenter.nakivo.com/User-Guide/Content/Deployment/System-Requirements/Feature-Requirements.htm#Native

We are looking forward to your feedback. Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2022 at 11:45 AM, kaoht said:

Provide my practice, let you refer to it

I back up the mainframe using IBM LOT6 (TS3100) and LTO7 tape drive plus SAS card
Make a backup.

My backup host operating system is Windowss 2016 version

@kaoht We appreciate your patience during our investigation. Please refer to this article on how to create a backup to tape (https://helpcenter.nakivo.com/User-Guide/Content/Backup/Backing-Up-to-Tape/Backing-Up-to-Tape.htm). Note that you need to install the transporter service to this Windows host (https://helpcenter.nakivo.com/User-Guide/Content/Deployment/Installing-NAKIVO-Backup-and-Replication/Installing-on-Windows.htm) and the appropriate vendor's drivers first. We are looking forward to your feedback. Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.