NAKIVO Introduces Agent-Based Data Protection for Proxmox VE ×
NAKIVO Community Forum

Patching Ubuntu OS in the Nakivo Virtual Appliance?

cmangiarelli

Is it safe/supported to perform an (apt) update of the Ubuntu OS while using the Nakivo Virtual Appliance? I've previously performed standard updates of the Nakivo software using the "scp sh file > run update from console" process as documented. However, I couldn't find any documentation about keeping the OS patched. We recently had a security scan point out flaws that are resolved by updates available in the public Ubuntu patch channel(s). Please advise.

• Like 1

Hello, @cmangiarelli, thank you for your question. 

Yes, you can perform an (apt) update of the Ubuntu OS to keep the system where the NAKIVO is installed updated. Please, do not update the OS version that is not supported by NAKIVO. Also, we recommend making a snapshot of the VM before update action to be able to revert back in case that update will be unsuccessful. Let us know if any other details are needed.

Thanks. So please confirm what I am reading.

• Running "apt update' followed by "apt upgrade" is safe.
  • Running "apt dist-upgrade", "apt full-upgrade, and/or "apt autoremove" is also safe?
  • Running "do-release-upgrade" followed by associated apt commands is NOT safe.

Sounds like you covered by 1st and 3rd points, but I'm still a little fuzzy about the second.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The data sheet for VMware Backup and Replication 10.3 and the Supported Platforms section of the User Guide both list "Ubuntu 16.04–18.04 Server (x64)". That's not to say it won't work on the later version, but you should speak with them directly about your support options.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 4:32 PM, lionking62 said:

Can I  upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04?

Hello, @lionking62!

We are planning to support Ubuntu 20.04 in NBR  v10.4. The release is planned for July 2021.

Please find the extended Linux OS support list for it: Ubuntu 20.04, RHEL7.6/7.7/8.0/8.1/8.2, SLES15/CentOS 8

As for now, you can upgrade OS Ubuntu to v18.04 which is currently supported as well.

• Like 1