NAKIVO Introduces Agent-Based Data Protection for Proxmox VE ×
NAKIVO Community Forum

Windows Repository cannot mulitask

Mr.Ed

I noticed that on Windows server, I can only run one job at a time. When I backup to tape or Wasabi, I cannot run my scheduled backups.

QNAP says that Nakivo does not have this limitation when running on a Intel or AMD based QNAP NAS.

I assume that on QNAP the Backup Copy jobs are running from a snapshot freeing the primary backup to be used at the same time?

What other repositories allow replication or backup copy jobs while source backups are running? Synology? FreeNAS? Linux?

- Ed Hammond

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr.Ed said:

I noticed that on Windows server, I can only run one job at a time. When I backup to tape or Wasabi, I cannot run my scheduled backups.

QNAP says that Nakivo does not have this limitation when running on a Intel or AMD based QNAP NAS.

I assume that on QNAP the Backup Copy jobs are running from a snapshot freeing the primary backup to be used at the same time?

What other repositories allow replication or backup copy jobs while source backups are running? Synology? FreeNAS? Linux?

- Ed Hammond

@Mr.Ed Thank you for your question. Let me explain your issue. NAKIVO software cannot use the backup object as a source or target only for one active Job. This limitation is a warranty that the object will not be changed when used by a different Job. This workflow provides only consistent backup data transfer. This limitation is global for any NAKIVO version. If you need further assistance, please contact NAKIVO support. Do not forget to collect new support bundle logs and attach screenshots.

The QNAP website seems to imply that they can support running these all at the same time. They say "you can simultaneously run backups, replications and recovery instead of running the jobs separately".  So are they incorrect?

NAKIVO on NAS | VM backup for VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V and AWS EC2 | QNAP

Here is the Quote on their website:

1.9x Backup Efficiency

When deploying NAKIVO on QNAP NAS, you can simultaneously run backups, replications and recovery instead of running the jobs separately. With NAKIVO’s capability to reduce network traffic for up to 50%, LAN-free data transfer, and its incremental backup to only back up changed data, you can greatly benefit from a 1.9x backup speed boost.