NAKIVO Introduces Agent-Based Data Protection for Proxmox VE ×
NAKIVO Community Forum

Grand-Father-Son (GFS) Tape retention scheme not working

Mr.Ed

Anyone else have problems with Grand-Father-Son (GFS) retention scheme not working as expected?

Daily backups work correctly and the retention is correct, but instead of getting weekly and Monthly backups, all my Full backups are set to yearly week after week at both my sites where I have tape libraries. (They expire 11 years from now)

I opened a ticket, but they were not able to tell me anything and claimed that everything was working fine.  At the time I was not doing daily backups, so I turned that on and they work, but they didn't affect my problem with yearly backups, so for now I'm turning it off to see what happens with just weekly and monthly backups.

These are my settings:

• Retain one recovery point per day for 7 days
  • Retain one recovery point per week for 4 weeks
  • Retain one recovery point per month for 12 months
  • Retain one recovery point per year for 11 years

Tape Job Options:

Create Full Backup: Every Saturday
Tape appending: Start full backup with an empty tape**

**I found that now that daily backups are turned on, Nakivo will start writing daily backups to my Full Backup tape before I get a chance to eject it. This is not desirable, but there is no options to segregate GFS tapes.  Setting this to "Always start with an empty tape" would burn a tape each day, also not desirable, but I may have no choice.  I would like to append all daily backups to the same tape and keep it in the library and only offsite my weekend full backups.

• Like 2

Hello, @Mr.Ed!

I am very sorry to hear that you didn't resolve your issue with the Support Team. Please continue the discussion in the opened ticket until your problem is fixed. Let me know when you find a solution for your case.

As for appending all daily backups to the same tape and keeping it in the library while storing offsite your weekend full backups only, unfortunately, this feature isn't currently implemented. However, the feature request will be submitted to the Product Team.

• Like 1