Jump to content

S3 Compatible Repository


jcostlow
 Share

Recommended Posts

I was wondering if we could use choose Amazon S3 for the repository but use any S3 compatible service.

Like Backblaze B2 is supposed to be S3 compatible. Could I use it for a repository? We are tying to find a good solution for offsite copies of the backups for customers. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, @jcostlow!

Currently, NAKIVO only supports the Wasabi bucket, Wasabi is an S3 compatible service. NAKIVO does not support Backblaze.

You can refer to this article for more details about creating a Wasabi repository in NAKIVO:  https://helpcenter.nakivo.com/display/NH/Backup+Repository+in+Wasabi+Hot+Cloud+Storage

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, we looked at Wasabi before and the cost was adding up quickly. That is the issue we have been having running into.

 

Backups locally are great but offsite storage of the backups is so expensive clients don't want to pay. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jcostlow said:

Thanks, we looked at Wasabi before and the cost was adding up quickly. That is the issue we have been having running into.

 

Backups locally are great but offsite storage of the backups is so expensive clients don't want to pay. 

@jcostlow, I understand you, but unfortunately, that's all we can offer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Ste- said:

is it possible to modify some configuration file, in order to extend the list of compatible S3 provider? My company provide S3 based service, we would like to be part of that list.

Hello @Ste-, thank you for your email. We forwarded the question to the NAKIVO product development team. We will contact you as soon as we have any updates. Thank you for your patience.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Ste- said:

is it possible to modify some configuration file, in order to extend the list of compatible S3 provider? My company provide S3 based service, we would like to be part of that list.

 @Ste-, we need clarification. Please tell us which provider you are talking about. Thank you so much for your attention and participation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Official Moderator said:

 @Ste-, we need clarification. Please tell us which provider you are talking about. Thank you so much for your attention and participation.

Thanks for your answer. Company I work for is Cubbit (site: www.cubbit.io - where you can find information about NGC:  BTB branch of Cubbit). Cubbit provides cloud services via a p2p network of specific device (that act as distributed storage nodes).
Cubbit Customers can consume storage via S3 compatible APIs. In order to do that, users are generally required to specify an s3 compatible third part application (as Nakivo):

  • url endpoint (that for cubbit is https://s3.cubbit.io)
  • a set of specific s3 credentials (access-key and secret-key), they can get from cubbit-console.

Nakivo configuration procedure does not allow (as far as I understand) to specify a generic URL. I assume that in some part of the application, there is a configuration file (or equivalent db-line, register-key etc.), that converts che chosen S3 provider option in the specific S3 url :

Cubbit would like to be an s3-storage option for Nakivo users (because several Cubbit customer, are also Nakivo users), and stop to suggest them to use a fuse-solution to workaround the lack of a direct connection.

We would like, one of the following:

  1. to be part of that option list as AmazonS3/Wasabi are (see picture).
  2. to let Nakivo user configure a generic S3 option connection by letting them specify a generic S3 endpoint url.

in the latter case, maybe, it's enough to modify some configuration file. In this case, please let us know which one.

Thanks

Ste-

image.thumb.png.fea46496980790cbaeef3e36598e0969.png

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2023 at 12:11 PM, Ste- said:

Thanks for your answer. Company I work for is Cubbit (site: www.cubbit.io - where you can find information about NGC:  BTB branch of Cubbit). Cubbit provides cloud services via a p2p network of specific device (that act as distributed storage nodes).
Cubbit Customers can consume storage via S3 compatible APIs. In order to do that, users are generally required to specify an s3 compatible third part application (as Nakivo):

  • url endpoint (that for cubbit is https://s3.cubbit.io)
  • a set of specific s3 credentials (access-key and secret-key), they can get from cubbit-console.

Nakivo configuration procedure does not allow (as far as I understand) to specify a generic URL. I assume that in some part of the application, there is a configuration file (or equivalent db-line, register-key etc.), that converts che chosen S3 provider option in the specific S3 url :

Cubbit would like to be an s3-storage option for Nakivo users (because several Cubbit customer, are also Nakivo users), and stop to suggest them to use a fuse-solution to workaround the lack of a direct connection.

We would like, one of the following:

  1. to be part of that option list as AmazonS3/Wasabi are (see picture).
  2. to let Nakivo user configure a generic S3 option connection by letting them specify a generic S3 endpoint url.

in the latter case, maybe, it's enough to modify some configuration file. In this case, please let us know which one.

Thanks

Ste-

image.thumb.png.fea46496980790cbaeef3e36598e0969.png

  

@Ste-, we are getting back to you about the investigation status. Our Development Team requires more time to find a solution because the issue appears to be quite complicated.

We want you to know how much we value your understanding in this matter. Please expect an update from our team in a few days. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us in the meantime using email: support@nakivo.com 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...