NAKIVO Introduces Agent-Based Data Protection for Proxmox VE ×
NAKIVO Community Forum

S3 Compatible Repository

jcostlow

I was wondering if we could use choose Amazon S3 for the repository but use any S3 compatible service.

Like Backblaze B2 is supposed to be S3 compatible. Could I use it for a repository? We are tying to find a good solution for offsite copies of the backups for customers. 

• Like 1

Hi, @jcostlow!

Currently, NAKIVO only supports the Wasabi bucket, Wasabi is an S3 compatible service. NAKIVO does not support Backblaze.

You can refer to this article for more details about creating a Wasabi repository in NAKIVO:  https://helpcenter.nakivo.com/display/NH/Backup+Repository+in+Wasabi+Hot+Cloud+Storage

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Thanks, we looked at Wasabi before and the cost was adding up quickly. That is the issue we have been having running into.

Backups locally are great but offsite storage of the backups is so expensive clients don't want to pay. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jcostlow said:

Thanks, we looked at Wasabi before and the cost was adding up quickly. That is the issue we have been having running into.

Backups locally are great but offsite storage of the backups is so expensive clients don't want to pay. 

@jcostlow, I understand you, but unfortunately, that's all we can offer.

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Ste- said:

is it possible to modify some configuration file, in order to extend the list of compatible S3 provider? My company provide S3 based service, we would like to be part of that list.

Hello @Ste-, thank you for your email. We forwarded the question to the NAKIVO product development team. We will contact you as soon as we have any updates. Thank you for your patience.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ste- said:

is it possible to modify some configuration file, in order to extend the list of compatible S3 provider? My company provide S3 based service, we would like to be part of that list.

@Ste-, we need clarification. Please tell us which provider you are talking about. Thank you so much for your attention and participation.

1 minute ago, Official Moderator said:

@Ste-, we need clarification. Please tell us which provider you are talking about. Thank you so much for your attention and participation.

Thanks for your answer. Company I work for is Cubbit (site: www.cubbit.io - where you can find information about NGC:  BTB branch of Cubbit). Cubbit provides cloud services via a p2p network of specific device (that act as distributed storage nodes).
Cubbit Customers can consume storage via S3 compatible APIs. In order to do that, users are generally required to specify an s3 compatible third part application (as Nakivo):

• url endpoint (that for cubbit is https://s3.cubbit.io)
  • a set of specific s3 credentials (access-key and secret-key), they can get from cubbit-console.

Nakivo configuration procedure does not allow (as far as I understand) to specify a generic URL. I assume that in some part of the application, there is a configuration file (or equivalent db-line, register-key etc.), that converts che chosen S3 provider option in the specific S3 url :

Cubbit would like to be an s3-storage option for Nakivo users (because several Cubbit customer, are also Nakivo users), and stop to suggest them to use a fuse-solution to workaround the lack of a direct connection.

We would like, one of the following:

1. to be part of that option list as AmazonS3/Wasabi are (see picture).
  2. to let Nakivo user configure a generic S3 option connection by letting them specify a generic S3 endpoint url.

in the latter case, maybe, it's enough to modify some configuration file. In this case, please let us know which one.

Thanks

Ste-

image.thumb.png.fea46496980790cbaeef3e36598e0969.png

On 1/20/2023 at 12:11 PM, Ste- said:

Thanks for your answer. Company I work for is Cubbit (site: www.cubbit.io - where you can find information about NGC:  BTB branch of Cubbit). Cubbit provides cloud services via a p2p network of specific device (that act as distributed storage nodes).
Cubbit Customers can consume storage via S3 compatible APIs. In order to do that, users are generally required to specify an s3 compatible third part application (as Nakivo):

• url endpoint (that for cubbit is https://s3.cubbit.io)
  • a set of specific s3 credentials (access-key and secret-key), they can get from cubbit-console.

Nakivo configuration procedure does not allow (as far as I understand) to specify a generic URL. I assume that in some part of the application, there is a configuration file (or equivalent db-line, register-key etc.), that converts che chosen S3 provider option in the specific S3 url :

Cubbit would like to be an s3-storage option for Nakivo users (because several Cubbit customer, are also Nakivo users), and stop to suggest them to use a fuse-solution to workaround the lack of a direct connection.

We would like, one of the following:

1. to be part of that option list as AmazonS3/Wasabi are (see picture).
  2. to let Nakivo user configure a generic S3 option connection by letting them specify a generic S3 endpoint url.

in the latter case, maybe, it's enough to modify some configuration file. In this case, please let us know which one.

Thanks

Ste-

image.thumb.png.fea46496980790cbaeef3e36598e0969.png

@Ste-, we are getting back to you about the investigation status. Our Development Team requires more time to find a solution because the issue appears to be quite complicated.

We want you to know how much we value your understanding in this matter. Please expect an update from our team in a few days. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us in the meantime using email: support@nakivo.com 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 11:10 AM, Official Moderator said:

@Ste-, we are getting back to you about the investigation status. Our Development Team requires more time to find a solution because the issue appears to be quite complicated.

We want you to know how much we value your understanding in this matter. Please expect an update from our team in a few days. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us in the meantime using email: support@nakivo.com 

Thank you so much for your attention and participation. The Devs/QA added S3 storage into the test plans/tracking. So it looks like that's it that can be done here.

Do you mean that in a future release, we will have the option of "generic S3 provider" (or whatever it will be named) in Nakivo!? It should be great! Did you have an Idea the time to market for such an implementation?

Thanks!

Ste-

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ste- said:

Do you mean that in a future release, we will have the option of "generic S3 provider" (or whatever it will be named) in Nakivo!? It should be great! Did you have an Idea the time to market for such an implementation?

Thanks!

Ste-

@Ste- I am sorry, I can not provide you with more information at the moment. Everything will depend on different factors. Thank you for understanding.