NAKIVO Introduces Agent-Based Data Protection for Proxmox VE ×
NAKIVO Community Forum

Backup Size

taricsam

Hi,

i got a Backup of my Cloud VM. May you tell me, how and why the Size is so small? I think the backup is not complete.

In other Backups i have similar VMs with the same System (Linux Univention Corporate).

Infos:

Free ESXi

Second HDD is independent permanently (sdb1)

VM size: 3.65 TB

/dev/sda: 50 GiB

/dev/sdb: 3,6 TiB

In Use:

udev                            10M    0% /dev
tmpfs                          792M 2% /run
/dev/mapper/vg_ucs-root  44G 28% /
tmpfs                          2,0G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs                          5,0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs                          2,0G  0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda1                  472M 37% /boot
/dev/sdb1                  2,7T 59%
overlay                        44G  28%
shm                             64M  0%
overlay                        44G   28%
shm                             64M    0%

The Systemsize is 50 GB, Clouddatasize are 2.7tb in use.

In Nakivo Backup the Last Run show me "data & speed" 48,9 gb.

Options:

1 VM (Cloud)

Schedule monthly

Tracking CBT

Full backup Mode: Active full

No Error.

Best Regards

Taric

Hello,

It is possible to check the backup consistency in a few ways:
1. Run "Verify all backups" maintenance ( https://helpcenter.nakivo.com/display/NH/Running+Block-Level+Backup+Verification?src=contextnavpagetreemode )
2. Run Flash boot action for affected VM ( https://helpcenter.nakivo.com/display/NH/Performing+Flash+VM+Boot+Recovery?src=contextnavpagetreemode ) and check by yourself if necessary files are present 
3. Run File level recovery action ( https://helpcenter.nakivo.com/display/NH/File+Recovery?src=contextnavpagetreemode ) and check by yourself if necessary files are present

For deeper investigation of this issue by our Support team, it would be better if you generate and send a support bundle ( https://helpcenter.nakivo.com/display/NH/Support+Bundles ) with the name of VM, that they need to check. Also provide any additional information considered to be important for this case.

• 1 year later...

Way overdue response maybe, but for future people looking this up...

"Second HDD is independent permanently (sdb1)"

Independent disks do not get snapshotted by Vmware, hence they can't be backed up.  Not just a Nakivo issue, Competitor will also just ignore these disks in backup.  Be warned about this!

I do believe backup software should mention an error or warning if such a disk is present and that it is not included in the backup.

Edited by TonioRoffo

21 hours ago, TonioRoffo said:

Way overdue response maybe, but for future people looking this up...

"Second HDD is independent permanently (sdb1)"

Independent disks do not get snapshotted by Vmware, hence they can't be backed up.  Not just a Nakivo issue, Competitor will also just ignore these disks in backup.  Be warned about this!

I do believe backup software should mention an error or warning if such a disk is present and that it is not included in the backup.

Hello, @TonioRoffo Thank you for your question. Note that NAKIVO Backup & Replication relies on VMware VM snapshots to perform backup and replication. Certain VM disk types, such as independent or RDM disks in physical compatibility mode, are not affected by snapshots. VMs that have unsupported disk types are disabled in the wizard and cannot be selected for backup or replication. For more details, please, refer to the Feature Limitations subsection of the latest Release Notes.