NAKIVO Introduces Agent-Based Data Protection for Proxmox VE ×
NAKIVO Community Forum

Deploy Nakivo in an EC2 instance

Matt

Is it possible to deploy Nakivo into an EC2 instance?  Is there a pre built AMI for a Nakvio director?  ...and if so, can I migrate a local Nakivo install to EC2 by backing up my config and restoring on EC2?

I'd like to see if Nakivo can compete with Amazon's AWS Backup to protect on prem VMWare, utilizing local (on prem) Nakivo transporters and repositories across a VPC... all with a portion of our backups replicated to an S3 bucket (maybe Wasabi) to protect us in the event of a major disaster. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 12:28 AM, Matt said:

Is it possible to deploy Nakivo into an EC2 instance?  Is there a pre built AMI for a Nakvio director?  ...and if so, can I migrate a local Nakivo install to EC2 by backing up my config and restoring on EC2?

I'd like to see if Nakivo can compete with Amazon's AWS Backup to protect on prem VMWare, utilizing local (on prem) Nakivo transporters and repositories across a VPC... all with a portion of our backups replicated to an S3 bucket (maybe Wasabi) to protect us in the event of a major disaster. 

Hello, Matt, thank you for your question. Yes, technically, it is possible to migrate NAKIVO from a local installation to AWS EC2.

There is a pre-built AWS AMI with the NAKIVO director. At the same time, importing to AWS NAKIVO will require minor manual configuration (check IP addresses of Inventory items and transporters, check repositories paths, etc.). If the NAKIVO director is located in AWS, we recommend having additional local transporter (or even a local repository) work with the hypervisor locally.

If you have any issues during the process in the future, such cases should be investigated with the logs, send them using support@nakivo.com email. You can create a new support ticket by sending us a support bundle from the instance where the issue occurs. Thank you for undestanding. We are looking forward to hearing from you. 

>If the NAKIVO director is located in AWS, we recommend having additional local transporter (or even a local repository) work with the hypervisor locally.

Right, I think we're on the same page here.  My thought was to use a Nakvio director in AWS to manage local transporters and repositories.  Theoretically, this would mean our Nakivo install would survive a catastrophic (on prem) data center event, and we could restore from an offsite repository without rebuilding Nakivo first.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt said:

>If the NAKIVO director is located in AWS, we recommend having additional local transporter (or even a local repository) work with the hypervisor locally.

Right, I think we're on the same page here.  My thought was to use a Nakvio director in AWS to manage local transporters and repositories.  Theoretically, this would mean our Nakivo install would survive a catastrophic (on prem) data center event, and we could restore from an offsite repository without rebuilding Nakivo first.

Thank you for your interest in NAKIVO! Yes, this is an absolutely correct conception. If you need any assistance with the configuration of this layout or some specific details, don't hesitate to get in touch with support directly at support@nakivo.com. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with, and we will get back to you.