NAKIVO Introduces Agent-Based Data Protection for Proxmox VE ×
NAKIVO Community Forum

NAKIVO Backup and Replication Free Edition on Synology DSM 7.0

Hello,

I am trying to install NAKIVO Free on a Synology NAS which is running DSM 7.0. According to the topic in this forum linked below, on DSM 7.0 installation of NAKIVO Free has to be done using the package manager of DSM. However I cannot find any way how to install the free version, since this package only installs the 14 Day Trial Version, and the Package for the free version which I downloaded from NAKIVO isn't installable due to this incompatibility/signing issue.

Could you please advise me on how to get the free version running directly on the NAS without any workarounds like installing it in a VM and using the NAS only as repository?

Thank you in advance!

20 hours ago, NakivoFreeUser said:

I am trying to install NAKIVO Free on a Synology NAS which is running DSM 7.0. According to the topic in this forum linked below, on DSM 7.0 installation of NAKIVO Free has to be done using the package manager of DSM. However I cannot find any way how to install the free version, since this package only installs the 14 Day Trial Version, and the Package for the free version which I downloaded from NAKIVO isn't installable due to this incompatibility/signing issue.

Could you please advise me on how to get the free version running directly on the NAS without any workarounds like installing it in a VM and using the NAS only as repository?

Thank you in advance!

Hello, @NakivoFreeUser We have checked with our Level 2 engineer and got their confirmation. We are so sorry for this inconvenience. NAKIVO Free version does not support DSM 7.0. Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us. Best regards

• 7 months later...
On 11/9/2022 at 8:04 PM, Rolando_Ramirez said:

Hello. There's a message in the download page:  The installer for Synology DSM 6 is available on our website. The DSM 7 package is undergoing the Synology verification process and will be available in a few weeks. You can download the package for DSM 7 only from the Synology Package Center.

Any timeline ?

thanks!

Hello @Rolando_Ramirez

Thank you for your patience during our investigation.

>>> There's a message in the download page:  The installer for Synology DSM 6 is available on our website. The DSM 7 package is undergoing the Synology verification process and will be available in a few weeks. You can download the package for DSM 7 only from the Synology Package Center. Any timeline ? 

According to the latest improvements in DSM7, all installation packages should comply with more strict security requirements, than it was previously.
Synology does not allow updating the NAKIVO package manually on the Synology Web Console. 
You need to install NAKIVO on Package Center and the latest version of NAKIVO on Package Center is 10.6.1. Currently, version 10.7.2 is being reviewed by the Synology team and it is expected to be available on Package Center soon. 
You can update manually to the 10.7.2 version using .sh file via SSH console by performing the following steps:

1. Install the NAKIVO version 10.6.1 via Synology AppCenter

2. Download the newest NAKIVO version installation script for Synology NAS:

- x86_64 - https://d96i82q710b04.cloudfront.net/res/product/DSM7/NAKIVO_Backup_Replication_v10.7.2.69768_Updater_Synology_x86_64.sh
- armv7 - https://d96i82q710b04.cloudfront.net/res/product/DSM7/NAKIVO_Backup_Replication_v10.7.2.69768_Updater_Synology_arm_v7.sh
- armv8 - https://d96i82q710b04.cloudfront.net/res/product/DSM7/NAKIVO_Backup_Replication_v10.7.2.69768_Updater_Synology_arm_v8.sh

3. Copy the downloaded file to your Synology somewhere, for example to /tmp via WinSCP or SSH:

cd /tmp && wget  https://d96i82q710b04.cloudfront.net/res/product/DSM7/NAKIVO_Backup_Replication_v10.7.2.69768_Updater_Synology_x86_64.sh

4. Stop NAKIVO services: Package center -- Installed -- NAKIVO -- Action -- Stop

5. Connect to Synology via SSH (Putty) using an admin account.

6. Get root privileges running the following command:

sudo -i

enter your admin password when prompted

7. Run the following commands to replace the existing NBR director with the newest version:

chmod +x NAKIVO_Backup_Replication_v10.7.2.6976_Updater_Synology_x86_64.sh

./NAKIVO_Backup_Replication_v10.7.2.6976_Updater_Synology_x86_64.sh

8. Start NAKIVO services if needed: Package center -- Installed -- NAKIVO -- Action -- Start

We are looking forward to hearing from you. Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

21 hours ago, Rolando_Ramirez said:

Hello. Thanks for the answer but you're confused, this post/thread is about the FREE version of Nakivo on DSM 7 and not how to upgrade to the latest version.

@Rolando_Ramirez

Thank you for getting back to us. Unfortunately, for now, there is no free version of NAKIVO for Synology DSM 7+. Thank you so much for your attention and participation. We are looking forward to hearing from you.