NAKIVO Introduces Agent-Based Data Protection for Proxmox VE ×
NAKIVO Community Forum

HDD Heavily Fragmented After Only 1 Backup?

MEGAnation

I am running a Hyper-V VM backup to a USB HDD drive for testing on a cleanly formatted disk.

After running 1 backup of 3 VM's (about 100GB) Windows is reporting that the drive is 97% fragmented. Is this normal/expected? Should we be defragging often?

USB HDD Repository is set at Best compression with store as separate files disabled.

Thanks!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Official Moderator said:

Hello, @MEGAnation, thank you for your request, I will consult with the Support Team and soon will return with an answer. 

17 hours ago, MEGAnation said:

I am running a Hyper-V VM backup to a USB HDD drive for testing on a cleanly formatted disk.

After running 1 backup of 3 VM's (about 100GB) Windows is reporting that the drive is 97% fragmented. Is this normal/expected? Should we be defragging often?

USB HDD Repository is set at Best compression with store as separate files disabled.

Thanks!

Hello, MEGAnation, thank you for your post. Please send us a new support bundle with a database included Specify the Job Name, Repository Name, and ticket number #145192 for further checking. We look forward to hearing any feedback from you soon.

On 5/15/2022 at 4:58 PM, MEGAnation said:

Thanks!

@MEGAnationThank you for your patience during the investigation. The enabled deduplication caused to use of the chunk-based repo. Yes, it's possible/expected.

If the you want, you can defragment your drive, but this is not required.

Should you need any further information, please let us know.