NAKIVO Introduces Agent-Based Data Protection for Proxmox VE Ɨ
NAKIVO Community Forum

10.9 Nakivo "Starting, please wait", Java Hangup?

CHEOPSken

Hello everyone

I seem to have an issue with Nakivo 10.9 where Nakivo is stuck with the message "Starting, please wait".
I installed a new Nakivo VM on Esxi 8.0 U1 with 10.9 because it is the recommended Nakivo version for ESXI 8.
Nakivo started fine first, I configured a Backup which ran without problem. Then I changed the IP in the VM network settings to manual and restarted the VM because it wasn't saving my input, or so it seemed. I then restarted the VM again and checked the network settings and they have the correct adresses etc. When I go to the WebUI however, I am greeted with the above message.

Looking into system performance I notice that "java" is hogging all the %CPU:

image.png.16a0b19f6528e3ae9da9c9a4fcf1e147.png

Is this a known issue? What could this be?

Cheers
CHEOPSken

• Like 1

Quick Info: I switched the Network config back to DHCP and now the WebUI started normal again.šŸ¤”

IĀ“ll test again tommorow and let you know if I can replicate this. The manual IP I chose was not used elsewhere in case you are wondering.

Cheers
CHEOPSken

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHEOPSken said:

Quick Info: I switched the Network config back to DHCP and now the WebUI started normal again.šŸ¤”

IĀ“ll test again tommorow and let you know if I can replicate this. The manual IP I chose was not used elsewhere in case you are wondering.

Cheers
CHEOPSken

@CHEOPSken, your information/request has been received and forwarded to our Level 2 Support Team. Meanwhile, the best way for both sides would be to generate and send a support bundle (https://helpcenter.nakivo.com/display/NH/Support+Bundles) to support@nakivo.com so our Technical Support team can investigate your issue having more details.

18 hours ago, CHEOPSken said:

Cheers
CHEOPSken

@CHEOPSken We appreciate your patience during our investigation. Please, try to raise parameters for Java heap "-Xss512k,-Xms256m,-Xmx1g" twice in accordance with this article (https://helpcenter.nakivo.com/display/KB/How+to+Allocate+More+RAM+to+NAKIVO+Director+Service), let us know if that helps or send a support bundle if the issue persists. We are looking forward to your feedback.

Hello again

So this bug or whatever it is, is replicable. I can change the network config to manual just fine and I can connect to the webUI via the manual IP. If I restart however, I am greeted with "Starting, please wait".

If I change the config back to DHCP and go to the webUI without restarting, I can access it.
Restarting the VM does not show me the message either, so it seems to work with DHCP?

I tried again and this time it wouldn't take my manual config. Only on the second try did it take it and I was able to connect without restarting.
After restart, same issue as before: "Starting, please wait" and 100% CPU workload for Java.

Quickfix: I went to "Manage NAKIVO Services" and restarted all the services. The workload of the CPU goes to 200% (okay?šŸ˜…) and then to normal. I can then access it again.
So there might be a service that gets hung up on something after changing the config and restarting?

Ā 

DHCP config: (It should be noted that the DNS 192.168.21.6 has been decomissioned just yesterday night, after I created this post)

image.png.54db73d626550fc4b1595b916a3a0cc5.png

Manual config:

image.png.5007488bdbdcf8757200a916ccbbca34.png

The message:

image.png.097730e67b52c65ff8d9650b7f681592.png

Failed manual config and second try:

image.png.f8f565fb56a1cb607742c9c4026e9c9c.pngimage.png.d11066866e1e932ea5378294bf4e42dc.png

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by CHEOPSken
  • Like 1

Hello again

So I did double the heap size parameters twice. The first changed did not fix the problem but the second seems to have fixed it.
I changed the manual IP back from .204 to .203 for testing and restarted the VM and I can now access the webUI.

Final heap size:

image.png.6eb37bb92de1bfce72229cad724fa6f8.png

Ā 

For Anyone reading this in the future. To change the heapsize. Go to the VM comsole in ESXI.

1. Manage NAKIVO services -> Start/Stop Services -> Stop both the Director and Transporter service for good measure
2. Go back to the Main Menu -> Exit to system console -> log in with your user (nkvuser in my case)
3. Sudo -i -> enter password again
4. Install nano for text editing : sudo apt -y install nano
5 type: cd / (to move to root folder) -> cd etc/systemd/system -> type: sudo nano nkv-dirsrvc.service
6. Edit the file. Move with the arrow key down to the line beginning with "Environment="SVC_OPTIONS....." and move to the right until you see the above heap size parameters. Edit the parameters. When finished press CRTL+X and then Y. Press Enter to finish. Reboot the VM, done.

I hope this can help whoever in the future. Thanks for the help and have a great day.
Ā 

Ā  Ā 
Ā  Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CHEOPSken said:

Hello again

I spoke too soon. I restarted one final time and we are back to "Waiting" and 100% CPU Load:

image.png.df35946769bc88c82367c719cf166d64.png

I created a support package for you guys to check out.

For now the Quickfix will do: Restarting the services.

@CHEOPSkenĀ Please, update the situation on this thread when you resolve everything with the Support Team. It can be helpful for other users. Thank you