NAKIVO Introduces Agent-Based Data Protection for Proxmox VE ×
NAKIVO Community Forum

Synology DSM 7 and Nakivo 10.4 Not Compatible!

Jason

Please get this approval completed. I am sure Nakivo can CALL someone at Synology and ask what is causing the delay. This is totally UNACCEPTABLE by both companies. I cannot use the work around suggested and will be exploring other options ASAP. Don't release a product that doesn't have a major DSM version approval. Release it AFTER!!!!

@Jason,

According to the latest Synology improvements in DSM7, all installation packages should comply with more strict security requirements than previously. For now, we are working closely with Synology Team to prepare the release, and we are almost on the final stage. However, we expect that we will need a few more weeks to complete it. When DSM7 is officially supported, then it will be possible to install NAKIVO on NAS again.

Additionally, you could use the following workaround for DSM 7:

• Deploying a new NAKIVO installation somewhere else as Virtual Appliance (VA) or installing on a supported VM, Physical or NAS;
  • Share the repository folder on the Synology NAS with DSM7 as NFS / CIFS (SMB) share;
  • Add this repository as existing to the new NAKIVO installation;
  • Restore the configuration of the old NAKIVO installation from Self-backup from the original repository.

We sincerely apologize for this temporary inconvenience, yet we hope for your understanding and cooperation.

I ran into this problem on a clients synology that had a faulty factory reset button. It reset itself, so DSM had to be reinstalled. It automatically installed DSM 7. Ok, fine. Then I go to reinstall Nakivo and find out it isn't compatible. Spent about 5hrs moving Nakivo to the server and recreating the backups. This was a month ago on Aug 25. Sure would be nice to get this fixed.

To all friends of Synology: if you are using Nakivo don't update to DSM7. It is a mess. I was in a online demo for 10.4 and the guy @nakivo told me that they are developing a new version which is comaptible to the new app signing procedure for DSM 7.x

I hoped that this was integrated in 10.5 but I can not find any information here. May be I try 10.5 beta. Anyone did that on synology 7?

The "Back-Update" from 7 to 6.2 is possible but a lot of work. I was lucky having a new DS1621+ here and tried it before going to customer side.

Great so they have to develop a whole new version and this waiting for the app to be approved is basically not true. This has been a total mess. While I like Nakivo for cost and features this is certainly going to make me research new backup systems.

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

Great so they have to develop a whole new version and this waiting for the app to be approved is basically not true. This has been a total mess. While I like Nakivo for cost and features this is certainly going to make me research new backup systems.

I think the new fetaure of immutable backups was more important to them. I like that feature also. It is great. We are using that in 2 installations. Great job

It is a question of how long it will need to implement that DSM 7.x "feature". You should not install 7.0. Wait for 7.1. "New" does not automatically means "good and stable". Ask yourself: "do I really need any new feature of DSM 7?". If not - stay at 6.x as this is patched also.

BUT... a second thing was the single file restore feature. I asked Nakivo support stuff when it will be supported for Ubuntu Server 20.04 (which is the actual LTS version). There also was an unexpected answer: "we will implement in one of the next versions".... Which means for the moment - I need to install a really old Ubuntu Server 18.04 for only restoring single Nakvio file backups. My customers say "wow, another day of workman to be paid". Most of our Ubuntus are running 20.04 or in development environment - 21.04. So we are waiting there also. Not too pleasant

It is an absolute Disgrace!

We pay for a Premium licensed Backup solution such as Nakivo, and yet after 2 months people are left with no active backup, moreover unable to even roll back to a previous configuration - just great.

What really s@#$ts me is the nonchalance utilized by the Nakivo support team with their temporary solution to "Deploy a new NAKIVO installation somewhere else as Virtual Appliance (VA) or installing on a supported VM, Physical or NAS" - like this is a 5 minute job.

I am definitely going to search for another product and say goodbye to this bulls@#$t.

Hi....While I comprehend the requirement for security, and keeping this "no root permitted" requirment will push engineers to refresh thier programming, is it basically impossible to debilitate this? Obviously we'd need to click agreee to whatever notice and secuirty concerns and all, yet there are a hell of alot of applications that I'm not ready to utilize any longer along these lines.

10 hours ago, HankStarr said:

Hi....While I comprehend the requirement for security, and keeping this "no root permitted" requirment will push engineers to refresh thier programming, is it basically impossible to debilitate this? Obviously we'd need to click agreee to whatever notice and secuirty concerns and all, yet there are a hell of alot of applications that I'm not ready to utilize any longer along these lines.

Hello HankStarr,

sorry, maybe I do not understand what you are getting at - do you want to say Nakivo needs to "re-code" bigger chunks of the software to be able to follow Synology security requirements?! If so, we should get clear a message from Nakivo to clarify that the package will no longer be supported under Synology DSM7.x for a while - Everyone of us can decide how to handle such a major drawback for you as Synology user.

Can you clarify / elaborate on your thoughts here. Thank you.

Thomas

11 minutes ago, RJB said:

Hello to all of you

I've managed to install Nakivo 10 in docker on DSM 7 with the use of the existing repository.

Tested recovery and backup and it's working fine.

It could be a temporary solution.

RJ

Cool Idea! Why temporary? I like docker and to be independent of OS restrictions.

Thank you. I'll give it a try

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RJB said:

Hello to all of you

I've managed to install Nakivo 10 in docker on DSM 7 with the use of the existing repository.

Tested recovery and backup and it's working fine.

It could be a temporary solution.

RJ

Hello.

can you explain how you did it? Thanks a lot.

Quick and dirty:

1 - Create ubuntu(used 18.04) container with volume mounted to old repo folder and network(bridge) using host(synology) network.

2 - Update apt and install nakivo requirements (apt install cifs-utils ntfs-3g open-iscsi)

3 - Install nakivo (install, install again,remove, install ... )

4 - Check rights on mounted repo folder

5 - Should be running now :-)

On 10/15/2021 at 7:35 PM, RJB said:

Quick and dirty:

1 - Create ubuntu(used 18.04) container with volume mounted to old repo folder and network(bridge) using host(synology) network.

2 - Update apt and install nakivo requirements (apt install cifs-utils ntfs-3g open-iscsi)

3 - Install nakivo (install, install again,remove, install ... )

4 - Check rights on mounted repo folder

5 - Should be running now 🙂

Forgot the systemctl replacement

2a - wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gdraheim/docker-systemctl-replacement/master/files/docker/systemctl.py -O /usr/local/bin/systemctl

2b - make it executable: chmod +x /usr/local/bin/systemctl

and create a script which starts the required(iscsid, nkv-bhsvc, nkv-dirsvc) services

Dear Nakivo

We paid for Essential Pro licence to use in the Synology. But now we are not able to use it so the why should we use this peace of shit. you guys are so ridiculous and irresponsible we invested money on this by believing you. Now I think that the decision was bullshit

Hi, @SALEEL!

I am very sorry that we put you in such a position. The latest improvements in DSM7 were unexpected for everyone. And it makes us feel very sad that we can't provide you with our best service as usual. Our team was doing everything to accelerate the process. However, at this point, there is nothing we can do.

I understand your disappointment, and I apologize for all the inconvenience it has caused you. One of our main values is customers satisfaction. That's why this situation is frustrating. If only it depended on us!

At the moment I can only offer you the following options:

1. You can temporarily install NAKIVO Backup & Replication on some other host and use the NAS-based repository as a CIFS/NFS share. When DSM7 is officially supported, then it will be possible to install NAKIVO on NAS again.

2. Workaround for DSM 7:

- Deploying a new NAKIVO installation somewhere else as Virtual Appliance (VA) or installing on a supported VM, Physical or NAS;

- Share the repository folder on the Synology NAS with DSM7 as NFS / CIFS (SMB) share;

- Add this repository as existing to the new NAKIVO installation;

- Restore the configuration of old NAKIVO installation from Self-backup from the original repository.

For now, we are working closely with Synology to prepare the release, and we are almost at the final stage. However, we expect that we will need a few more weeks till the final release.

Again, I am very sorry for all the convenience!

• Like 2