NAKIVO Introduces Agent-Based Data Protection for Proxmox VE ×
NAKIVO Community Forum

Synology DSM 7 and Nakivo 10.4 Not Compatible!

Jason

Hi, @Jason!

Regarding the workaround with NFS or CIFS share:

* Backup Repository on an NFS share, please make sure that all the necessary prerequisites are met:

• The folder where you would like to create the Backup Repository exists on the share.
  • The share can be accessed from the machine on which the Assigned Transporter is installed.
  • You are using credentials with reading and writing permissions to the share.

(https://helpcenter.nakivo.com/User-Guide/Content/Settings/Backup-Repositories/Creating-Backup-Repositories/Backup-Repository-on-CIFS-Share.htm).

* Backup Repository on a Windows CIFS share, make sure that all the necessary prerequisites are met:

• The folder where you would like to create the Backup Repository exists on the share.
  • The share can be accessed from the machine on which the Assigned Transporter is installed.
  • You are using credentials with reading and writing permissions to the share.
  • The share is compatible with Version 2 or later of the SMB protocol.

(https://helpcenter.nakivo.com/User-Guide/Content/Settings/Backup-Repositories/Creating-Backup-Repositories/Backup-Repository-on-NFS-Share.htm).

If the setup sharing is via the Site to Site VPN, the network speed belongs to your VPN network. You can do the speed test by transferring the file and tcpdump to check.

Let me know if you need any assistance.

This situation is just a mess, and to be blunt, I don't think we are hearing the honest truth about what is going on, and this is impacting trust with continuing to use these applications.    One of the biggest fails, is that Nakivo did not put on their documentation that this is not a supported configuration.   The change with DSM 7 was not a surprise, and was known if you do some searching you can see synology was publishing that info, which would presume that they would have provided notices to vendors of 3rd parties of the roadmap and what is changing.    

With that said, thank you to call out to use docker, to hedge that this crap doesn't happen again, I went the docker route, and although it adds more things for me to admin, at least I won't be put in this situation again.   

Perhaps Nakivo should look at creating an docker image, and go that route with deploying the packages.

On 10/15/2021 at 7:35 PM, RJB said:

Quick and dirty:

1 - Create ubuntu(used 18.04) container with volume mounted to old repo folder and network(bridge) using host(synology) network.

2 - Update apt and install nakivo requirements (apt install cifs-utils ntfs-3g open-iscsi)

3 - Install nakivo (install, install again,remove, install ... )

4 - Check rights on mounted repo folder

5 - Should be running now 🙂

Hi
I have tried several times to install the Nakivo on the Synology NAS DS1817+ with Docker. Unfortunately without success so far. I always get the following error message:
./NAKIVO_Backup_Replication_v10.4.0.58736_Installer-FREE.sh: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'                                                                                           
./NAKIVO_Backup_Replication_v10.4.0.58736_Installer-FREE.sh: line 1: `<!DOCTYPE html>' 

Of course, I have already googled for it, but I didn't get anything out of it.

I have already changed the sources for package installation and also reinstalled many packages from another ubuntusystem. Unfortunately the error still persists. 

On a VM with Ubuntu I can run the script without problems. Bash script also work on the NAS Ubuntu system.

Does anyone have any ideas?

14 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Hi
I have tried several times to install the Nakivo on the Synology NAS DS1817+ with Docker. Unfortunately without success so far. I always get the following error message:
./NAKIVO_Backup_Replication_v10.4.0.58736_Installer-FREE.sh: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'                                                                                           
./NAKIVO_Backup_Replication_v10.4.0.58736_Installer-FREE.sh: line 1: `<!DOCTYPE html>' 

Of course, I have already googled for it, but I didn't get anything out of it.

I have already changed the sources for package installation and also reinstalled many packages from another ubuntusystem. Unfortunately the error still persists. 

On a VM with Ubuntu I can run the script without problems. Bash script also work on the NAS Ubuntu system.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Hello Benjamin

Looks like the Nakivo installer isn't the Nakivo installer but some html download.

The firstline should be #!/bin/sh and not something with doctype html 🙂

15 minutes ago, RJB said:

Hello Benjamin

Looks like the Nakivo installer isn't the Nakivo installer but some html download.

The firstline should be #!/bin/sh and not something with doctype html 🙂

Hello RJB. Thank you very much for your reply.

I had forgotten to mention that. I also tried to run this as a sh or bash command. Unfortunately, the syntax error then simply slips a few lines further down.
In the VM Ubuntu this script also works. It shows you the conditions and you can accept them and then the corresponding script runs through.

1 hour ago, Benjamin said:

Hello RJB. Thank you very much for your reply.

I had forgotten to mention that. I also tried to run this as a sh or bash command. Unfortunately, the syntax error then simply slips a few lines further down.
In the VM Ubuntu this script also works. It shows you the conditions and you can accept them and then the corresponding script runs through.

What i try to say is: is the installer the correct script or maybe a somehow wrong/broken download.

To check you can open the script with vi/nano and see what's inside.

28 minutes ago, RJB said:

What i try to say is: is the installer the correct script or maybe a somehow wrong/broken download.

To check you can open the script with vi/nano and see what's inside.

All right, I realized it now. Something didn't work when uploading to the docker directory. Although the file had the same size.... Thanks a lot.

Solved this problem by successfully downgrding DSM 7 to DSM 6.2 using the following procedure based on infos from: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/89848-tutorialdowngrade-from-dsm-70-to-dsm-623/

1. Ensure you have a telnet client available on your PC

2. In DSM 7.0, enable Telnet and SSH access

3. Using telnet, connect to your Synology NAS from your PC: (x.x.x.x is the IP address of your NAS)

telnet to your NAS x.x.x.x

4. Run the following command on your NAS:

sudo -i

vi /etc.defaults/VERSION

5. Replace the entire contents of that file with the following:

majorversion="6"
minorversion="2"
productversion="6.2.3"
buildphase="GM"
buildnumber="25426"
smallfixnumber="0"
builddate="2020/07/01"
buildtime="06:24:39"

6. Save the file (:qw)and reboot your NAS

7. Use the Synology Assistant or any IP-Scanner to get the IP of your NAS (has changed back to DHCP)

8. Install DSM 6.2.3 using the .pat file downloaded from the Synology download center. The upgrade will start but then quickly show an error stating you are unable to downgrade and must install a version of DSM7. Don't worry, because at this point, Telnet will be available and you will be able to connect to your NAS.
Synology Archive Download Site - Index of /download/Os/DSM/6.2.3-25426

9. Telnet to your NAS like in step 3, but instead of using your account credentials from before, use the following:

username: root

password: 101-0101

10. Repeat steps 4 and 5, replacing the VERSION file with the new contents (no sudo as you are root now).

11. Install 6.2.3 again. Your NAS should successfully downgrade to 6.2.3.

I haven't verified that this will retain your data on your disks

12. Now you may upgrade to the latest DSM 6.2.x from the NAS GUI.

13. If your NAS had a static IP, you have to reconfigur your network settings as the downgrade changed back to DHCP.

• Like 1

Solved this today by clicking the Repair button for the Nakivo application in Package Center on DS2419+ with DSM 7.0.1-42218.

Didn't have the Repair button for Nakivo before, since the upgrade to DSM 7.

Daily VM backup job is currently running since a month or so.

So I downgraded to 6.2.3 as per the great instructions above. After install my NAS reported DSM had an issue in the system health widget. I installed the transporter package for my 816 and still could not connect. Stated the connection was refused. Frustrated I decided to just go back to DSM 7 and wait it out again. 

After updating to 7 my Nakivo package would only let me uninstall so after doing that I took a chance and searched for Nakivo in the package center. I saw the transporter package and installed it. I only use the transporter version on this NAS for offsite replication of VM's. On the source Nakivo I refreshed the transporter and it connected. Refreshed the repository and it worked as well. now running an off site copy job...

Is it due to the newest version of DSM 7? Did Nakivo finally get this passed? I have no idea but I still feel this was a terrible way of handling a major issue. If your app is not approved by  a vendor send out an email to all customers. Pretty simple. I hope Nakivo will learn from this.

@Jason, @Kubeos GmbH, @JoeShmo, @masnic322, @mcwild, @Cedric, @RFD, @Erik, @ozarktech, @Denis Hancock, @cdm8, @MYG63, @Galo, @HankStarr, @hans, @RJB, @SergioAt, @Benjamin, @YANU@SALEEL and everyone else who was following this issue,

Now, DSM 7 finally supports NBR v10.4!

I want to say thank you for your patience and participation during this time. We are deeply sorry for all the inconvenience it might have caused you. We are always striving to provide our customers with the best service possible. However, sometimes things don't depend on us.

Once again, thank you for your understanding. It is priceless!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ozarktech said:

I found Nakivo 10.4.0 is in the Synology package  center and I'm installing it now.

I've got Nakivo 10.4 running on my first box here. Glad to see Synology DSM7 now runs recent versions of Nakivo. If you re-installed 10.4.1 on another platform, like I did, you cannot transfer your configuration back to the Synology box at this point of time as versions do not match.

The other issue you have to deal with is the missing compatibility for ESXi7.0.3 within Nakivo 10.4.0. I upgraded to the latest  ESXi release just last weekend, after making positive experiences in my lab environment during the last weeks.

So you better wait some time before moving back to Synology DSM with your backup solution 🙂

Edited by hans