1. 20

1. 36

1. 20

Total Members
    Most Online
    Murnaldjew
    Newest Member
    Murnaldjew

• I thought I would share my steps for using Nakivo to migrate a Hyper-V or Nutanix servers to Proxmox. Steps to get a Nutanix or Hyper-V VM into Proxmox using Nakivo Most of the time it will be easier to use a Hyper-V or Nutanix backup and then do an "Export Backup" to get the .vhd files. Then import those into Proxmox.    Do not export as VHDX, use VHD. Use SFTP to upload the VHD to Proxmox.  I upload them under /mnt/pve with WinSCP, but if your using Ceph and your local storage is limited, you may need to upload it to /mnt/pve/cephfs or mount other NFS storage for staging like I did with my NFS share called qnap-proxmox. In these examples, I will create a VM called 102 and make it without a virtual disk (Use this command line or use the GUI, I like the GUI) qm create 102 --name MyServerName --memory 4048 --sockets 2 --cores 2 --net0 virtio,bridge=vmbr2 Your Bridge may not be vmbr2 like mine, so double check that before you copy and paste the command line from here. Import the VHD disk to the VM without specifying a format (VM 102 in this example) - pvpool1 is my ceph storage pool qm disk import 102 /mnt/pve/qnap-proxmox/vm-102-disk-1.vhd pvpool1 Check your storage name and don't just copy and paste mine (pvpool1) unless your ceph config is like mine.  Your storage might be called local-zfs or just local Attach the disk and configure the boot order from the GUI, also set the boot mode to UEFI if it was UEFI before the move. Start the new VM, it may need to reboot 2 or 3 times to install all the drivers. Mount the virtio ISO to the CD Drive if this is a new Windows VM.  You should really install the virtio drivers before the migration for windows servers. Login and install the Guest tools from the virtio ISO.  D:\guest-agent\qemu-ga-x86_64.msi   Notes: Nutanix servers will usually already have VirtIO drivers for Windows installed.  New Windows Servers or Window Servers on Hyper-V will need Virtio drivers installed before migration.   Linux already has virtio drivers installed by default. I give all servers at least 2 CPU and 2 cores to start with and adjust later. Check the box for Qemu agent and TPM (if UEFI) when you create the server VM. If you're restoring a Windows VM, be sure to change the OS Type from the default Linux to Windows, I missed that in my demo. No network after first boot up?  Change the NIC from VirtIO to Intel E1000, then try installing VirtIO now that you have network again over Intel E1000.
    • Hello, @Mr.Ed, thank you for your suggestion. We'll forward your suggestion to our development team. To help our team understand your environment and solution plan, consider sending us a support bundle. For information on how to create and send a support bundle, please refer to: https://helpcenter.nakivo.com/User-Guide/Content/Settings/Support-Bundles.htm
    • I have been using Nakivo for my Nutanix to Proxmox migrations and it works well, but I have to extract the backup, move it to promox and then import it. It seems to me that this is all just a matter of orchestration, and that it should not be that hard to add as a feature.  It sure would make recovery to Proxmox easier.
    • Hi @Mike, Thank you for your interest in using NAKIVO Backup & Replication for backing up your Proxmox environment. I wanted to clarify that there isn't a specific download or version of our product designed exclusively for Proxmox. The Free Trial available for download on our website allows you to back up Proxmox VE using the agent-based approach. This means that can still protect your Proxmox VMs using the physical machine backup functionality. With this approach, the solution discovers VMs as physical machines. For more information, please refer to our blog post: https://www.nakivo.com/blog/proxmox-backup/ Please let me know if you need more information. Best regards
    • Hi @Mike, great to hear that you find our agent-based backup for Proxmox useful! I highly recommend our on-demand webinar "The Ultimate Guide to VM Backup and Recovery" to help you get the most out of NAKIVO's features. It covers best practices, customer stories, and live demos. Watch it anytime here: https://www.nakivo.com/webinar/the-ultimate-guide-to-vm-backup-and-recovery-with-nakivo/ 
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts